March 2, 2011

Just What The Doctor Ordered

This weekend we had a little weekend getaway. We took the opportunity to drive to Fresno and go to one of my cousins wedding receptions. We weren't able to make it to the wedding in Utah so we made a point to go to this part of the celebration at least.

We booked a hotel room and really enjoyed ourselves. We called ahead to make sure we could check in early to watch the big BYU game. Jon was very happy to watch that game! (Don't ask me what he thought of todays game.) The game was during Shayla's nap time so we put her to bed in the bathroom. (Oh the things we parents do to our children.)

We saw my Uncle Steve and Aunt Kathy. We also saw my cousin Alex and were able to congratulate him and his new wife Amy. Shayla even showed me how big she is getting by letting my Uncle Steve walk off with her and show her some of the pretty lights. My baby used to be so shy!

The next day we took Shayla to the zoo. She loved it. She is definitely her Daddy's girl! Her favorite animals were the sea lions. Every time they barked she would laugh back at them. You could tell that she thought they were communicating with each other. It was a good thing we had a firm grip on her or I think she may have jumped in the pool with the sea lions!

Shayla was a champ on the car ride. We plugged her in to the portable DVD player and I think she was a little sad when we were done driving and she had to stop watching her cartoons. We had a great weekend. It was promptly followed by Jon pulling a late night the next night to work on the beast of a project he's on.

He did that so that I could go to our Relief Society Activity on Tuesday night. I'm on the committee and we were all in charge of bringing a chocolate treat. I decided to make chocolate truffles. (You know the super easy kind that you make with oreos but looks really impressive?) They were a big hit and my favorite comment of the night was a sweet sister who asked me if I had culinary training. It pretty much made my year.

The best part was that my friend Sara was laughing behind me because we had just finished talking about how deceptively easy they were to make. I said thank you and didn't have the heart to tell her that just about anyone could make them. No training required. Oh well, it made me feel good at least. Jon was sad that there weren't more left over. I left a healthy amount of them home for us to enjoy though. But we are trying to lose weight so I tried not to leave too many. (They may be gone now after the BYU game tonight though... You didn't hear it from me.)

1 comment:

  1. "We booked a hotel room and really enjoyed ourselves..." That's all. Made me smile!

    ReplyDelete