March 18, 2011

Californian=Vegetarian (Well Almost)

Many of you know that I have struggled losing the weight I gained during my pregnancy with Shayla. Granted I wasn't able to exercise for a few months thanks to my allergic reaction to some medicine last year. You can read about that experience in this post My Doctor Adventures. Well a year later I decided to get serious with this whole weight loss thing since I didn't feel good about myself at the size that I was and started to work out on a regular basis.

I'm now running 3 times a week. I run about two miles each time. This happens to be fairly impressive since when I first started running in January I couldn't run a quarter of a mile without dying.

This isn't what I wanted to talk about in this post though. Another phenomenon has occurred since we moved to California, the longer I live here the more vegetarian I go. It started with a diet change to try and help aid my weight loss goals. I started eating a piece of fresh fruit before every meal, at dinner time I eat two cups of salad and it has helped me to cut back on calories while still feeling full.

Then I decided to stop eating chocolate and sweets throughout the week, with one indulgence day. Saturday. Last Saturday was my first indulgence day. Jon and I went out on a date and he decided that he wanted us to indulge in something greasy. So we stopped at Burger King and ordered a few things off their value menu. I ate a few bites and couldn't eat any more. Sunday I was nauseous most of the day. The only thing I really ate was a bowl of cereal that night.

It got me to thinking, if my body went into shock after a few bites of that food what was it doing to me? And how was I eating before that made it where I could eat this stuff without it phasing me? It made me not want to have an indulgence day... Well until I made it through all of this week without eating any sweets. I don't think I'll be losing my sweet tooth any time soon, even if I did lose the ability to handle fast food. It has been an interesting experience.

I didn't realize how much weight I really have lost in the last few months until I saw a picture that was taken of me this summer and compared it to our family pictures taken last week. The difference is noticeable and gave me renewed energy to keep going with my exercise regimen. I plan on beefing it up by doing weights a few times a week and riding a bike as well. Who knew I would turn into a gym rat?

1 comment:

  1. Good job Carrie! That is so great that your body is starting to reject fast food! And good job on the running. Impressive! You should also try eliminating dairy. When I had to go on a no dairy diet for Easton, my body was melting away. You should also read this blog: http://beanland.wordpress.com/ It's very motivating on why one should stick with their healthy eating habits. Start with her section on "our eating philosophy". Their vegan ways are pretty extreme for me, but it's all great information to know. The blog is by Toni McAskill's daughter. And Toni is starting to hold a healthy eating group every Sunday night at 7pm. I'll come with you this Sunday if you'd like to go. Again, they are extreme,(like they don't eat turkey for thanksgiving and just have a potato bar with vegetables, with no sour cream, butter or cheese) but it's good information. I'm more moderation in all things. I'm really proud of you! Good job!

    ReplyDelete