April 5, 2011

Pray Always...

Since Shayla has learned to fold her arms Jon and I have been working with her on prayer. Most times she folds her arms just until we close our eyes and then tries to go on with eating or whatever else she thinks she should be doing. The one exception is when she goes to bed. She will fold her little arms while we pray and then proudly shouts "Men!" at the end of the prayer.

Today in her bath She suddenly folded her arms and looked at me like, Mom it's time to pray. So we said a little prayer. followed by her customary "MEN". No sooner had she said this than she folded her arms again. I asked her if she wanted to pray again and with her big blue eyes looking up at me she said, "yeah". How can a Mother say no to that? So we prayed again. and again. and again. About the tenth prayer I finally said, "All done!" and distracted her with a ball.

How do you say no to your child when all she wants to do is pray. It melted my heart. I'm glad she likes to pray. I hope it's something we can continue to have her love as she grows. As I was saying my umpteenth prayer for her in the bath I was struck by the thought that we are supposed to teach our children to pray always. But I think this sweet little girl helped give me a lesson on prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment