June 8, 2011

If You're Happy and You Know It

If Shayla had a favorite song it would have to be, "If you're happy and you know it". In fact she requests to sing it multiple times a day. The way she does this is by coming up to me and clapping her hands.

 Tonight she was having a hard time falling asleep. She seems to be coming down with something. No matter what I did it didn't seem to make her comfortable. Finally her moans and groans broke my heart and I tried to rock her to sleep.

 We had been upstairs for about a half hour rocking and she would pop her little head up every few minutes and look at me and try to get more comfortable. I would ask if she wanted to go to Shayla's bed and she would tell me "No" and we would continue to rock.

 Finally I tried to comfort her by singing, "I am a child of God", She popped up immediately and our conversation went something like this.

 Shay: "No"
Me: You don't want me to sing I am a child of God
Shay: No
 Me:Do you want me to sing another song?
 Shay: Uh-uh
          -then a few seconds passed as she thought and she clapped her little hands
 Me: No Shay we aren't going to sing "If you're happy and you know it" at bedtime.

 It took all my self control to not laugh at that little cooky girl. She took it well though and we cuddled for a bit longer before she went back in her bed and FINALLY fell asleep. It only took 3 hours....

1 comment:

  1. Ha! When Corey sings to Lilia before bed he sings her songs like "the wise man built his house upon the rock" and "popcorn popping." I try to tell him that action songs aren't the best bedtime songs, but he doesn't believe me. It makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete