September 21, 2009

The things we do for our children

Well it's been awhile since I last posted on our blog. Thank you motherhood. But with Shayla eight weeks old and starting to sleep through the night I thought maybe I would try and post real quick during nap time.
It's been an adjustment getting used to only talking to a new born a lot of the time. But I love it and her.
We recently were told that she had infant acid reflux and the doctor put her on some medication to help her not over produce stomach acid anymore. On top of that I have had to modify my diet. It's been pretty extreme at first. I can no longer eat:
Chocolate, cinnamon, chiles, garlic, curry, citrus fruit, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage, bell peppers, cucumbers or cows milk.

Pretty soon I get to add back in cows milk and see if it bothers her stomach. But all the foods I love are big no-no's right now. I'm looking forward to eating more than just card board soon.\
(It will be nice if I lose a little of this baby weight along the way though!)

Among these things it has amazed me how I have gr0wn and had to put myself after her needs.
Who knew that when I was as absolutely exhausted as I was I would be able to get up every 3 hours to feed her and rock her back to sleep.
Or lose the use of my two arms 90% of the time.
There is a selflessness that comes with becoming a parent. I won't lie. It's hard. There are times when you break down in tears because you just can't handle it any more. But there are so many rewarding moments. There is nothing like being the Mommy and Daddy. She knows us already and misses us when we are gone for a few short hours.
I always look at Jon after she is done being particularly pill-y and say "I love her", as she is cuddling me. And it's true.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a pretty extreme diet change. We're glad to hear that things are still going well and that you are happy parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you guys and hopefully she will start doing better with the medicine. I hope I get to meet her someday!

    ReplyDelete