May 10, 2011

Breathing Deep

We went back to the playground today. I found myself feeling anxious as we approached. (We walked this time, adventurous, I know.)
Shayla cheered.

I thought maybe we would take it slow. Play on the swings and the sand.
Shayla headed straight for the toy that almost made her my toothless wonder.

I held my breath with each step she took, and tried not to let her see how scared I was.
She played and laughed, and insisted we slide down together.

She wanted to climb up and down by herself, and I let her.
That's what we do as parents. We let our children fall, and get back up. We cry with them when they are hurt, We laugh with them when they are happy. But most of all we love them.

It has been so inspirational to see how Shayla has handled this little trial of hers. She has been so cheerful, and lovie. She has been so brave. Did I tell you that while we were at the park after she fell she was picking flowers for me while I was on the phone with Bishop Keller? Melt my heart.

When I would be whining about pain, she is happy. When I would be worried about my tooth turning grey, she couldn't care less. When I would want to stay home and have a pity party for myself, she is back at the park and having a good time.

Children are amazing.

1 comment:

  1. I so wish I could have the attitude of a little kid. I feel lucky to be influenced by one at least. I'm glad that Shayla AND you are doing better.

    ReplyDelete