January 31, 2011

Growing up

That's right. My little girl is growing up. And she seems to let me know every day that she is getting too big for me. For those of you who knew her during her first year of life you will be surprised that she actually leaves my side now. The invisible leash I seemed to have attached to her has disappeared over night. She used to stay within a 10 foot radius of me... at all times... no more. She even prefers having other people hold her sometimes. I expect this with Jon. It made me happy for him the first time I tried to hold her and she shook her head "no" and held on tight for him. It was so good for him. For so long he was the exiled Daddy. Always looking in on my relationship with Shayla and wanting to join in, but she always let him know he was not welcome. On many occasions he would look at me with puppy dog eyes and say, "My daughter hates me." Not anymore. Now if she doesn't get her morning cuddle from him she runs up to him and tries to push him on the couch. As if she is saying, "Daddy we cuddle in the morning, you can't really try and leave without a cuddle" (The best part of this arrangement is that Mommy usually gets to sleep in a little while Daddy and Baby cuddle.)

What really surprised was last week when we were at the park and she decided to adopt her friends Mom as her own. I guess I wasn't good enough anymore. This girl used to cower in my shoulder if anyone came near here. But when I tried to take her back from my 5 month pregnant friend she swatted me away.

Shay is a big 18 months! I think I'm most excited for her to start nursery and to actually be able to listen during a church meeting!
She is 36 inches tall and 25 pounds.
Her favorite activities are singing and listening to music. And dancing to said music. I love watching her in the center of the room twirling and swaying.
She loves reading books! Her favorite book is "Mommy may I please have a cookie" (Maybe because it has something to do with a cookie)
Her favorite word is "This" in fact it's one of her only words. Shayla learned early on if she says "this" and points at what she wants she gets it and doesn't need to say the actual word. She is a problem solver and too clever. We've been trying to work on this by talking about what "This" is every time she says it. My favorite was last week when she pointed at me and said "this" and gave me a hug. (She knows how to say Mama and Dad but for some reason I was "this") She is a little behind in her speech development so we go back in to the doctor in a few months to just do a check and make sure she doesn't need speech therapy.
Her favorite time of day is cuddle time. (Followed closely by any time she gets to eat) We cuddle in the morning when she wakes up and also in the afternoon when she wakes up from her nap. 

We have a beautiful, happy, healthy girl and I feel so blessed to have her in our life. She is very mild mannered but knows what she wants. She shares her toys willingly and loves to be outside. She even tries to do her own hair sometimes. I just love this girl!

2 comments:

  1. Aw, happy 18 months, Shayla! Wow, Carrie, I can't believe she's that old already. She really is a darling cutie pie--wish we could see you guys more often. Enjoy life with your baby in nursery, it's great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 18 months? I can't belive she is already that old! And that broke my hearth when you said she wouldnt go to jon (although i bet you loved being wanted =) I am glad she wants wants to snuggle with both of you!

    ReplyDelete