December 9, 2010

I forgot how to use a camera...

Not really. But in the 2 1/2 weeks I was in Utah I managed to not take any pictures at all! You'll just have to believe me that I was there.

We had a great time catching up with friends and family. Took advantage of having Grandparents around and went out on as many dates as possible, and spent way too much money!

Here are a few of the highlights. The Friday after Thanksgiving I dragged Jon to the art exhibit at BYU. I'm a huge fan of Carl Bloch and I told him that I was going with or without him. It was one of the few things I wanted to accomplish while we were there. It was FANTASTIC! Everyone who has an opportunity to go, should. Such a wonderful exhibit that focuses on the Saviors life and so interesting to see the inspiration that can go into a work of art.

When we arrived we were standing waiting to hand someone our ticket and check in our coat. Jon pulled on my arm and motioned to a man standing about 100 feet away from us and said, "Isn't that a General Authority?" It was. It was Elder D. Todd Christofferson. It was exciting seeing an apostle that close to you. And not on a stand or something. We checked in our coats and he was not more than two feet away from us when we walked out of the coat check room. We smiled at him and were prepared to go on our way, not wanting to impose. But he turned to us and shook our hands and asked what our names were. He then proceeded to introduce himself. (As if we didn't know who he was, we haven't grown up listening to him speak in General Conference or anything.) I looked at him and with a twinkle in my eye, said, "Oh, we know who you are." He, and everyone in his group, laughed at us and we went on our way. Such an amazing way to start that exhibit. It definitely helped put us in the right spirit. We rented ipads for the tour and it was amazing. Carl Bloch was so inspired.

We were also able to attend the baby blessing of Dan and Lisa Argyle's little girl, Lydia. You forget how little babies are. They grow up so fast. I feel like every time I turn around Shayla has grown up a little bit more. I'm sure that they will continue the same thing about their little angel. You turn around and they are a toddler, the next thing I know she will be entering kindergarten.

Shayla started warming up to everyone in Utah. Much to the happiness of her Grandparents. We haven't ever stayed with Jon's parents for an extended time. They had the opportunity for a few days to have us there and Shayla really warmed up to them. She even walked over to Shannon at one point and held up her arms to be held. (She usually screams if Shannon comes near her) Shannon looked at me and asked who's child this was, it couldn't possibly be Shay! But it was. She loves both sets of Grandparents now.

My niece Abby was baptized on Saturday and Shayla was on one. We had moved into the Chapel and there was a musical number. She decided she should be up there and escaped and was up on the podium peaking at everyone over the banister and shrieking in delight. It was one of those moments when I just decided to pretend like she wasn't my child. At least until she became too disruptive....

It is really nice to be home, and in 60 degree weather again. Shayla has been looking at everything in wonder. She is so happy to be able to go on walks without being in a huge coat and still freezing. I think she also must have thought that I got rid of all of her things. She kept running around and bringing things for me to see.

It is really nice to be back and have Jon with us again. We sure missed him when he came back to California without us. He surprised Shayla with a teddy bear when he arrived at the airport and she showered her Daddy with hugs and kisses. She loves him so much. And he is wrapped around that little girls finger. I have to do all the discipline when he isn't around, he's just a big softy when it comes to her. He is such a good Dad. We are both lucky to have him.

No comments:

Post a Comment